MANILA — Marciano de Borja, the Philippine consul general to Guam, on Saturday said there have been no cases of panic buying in the island amid North Korea's nuclear threat.
When asked in an interview on DZMM if people were rushing to stock up on supplies, De Borja said no such cases have been reported.
De Borja added that North Korea's saber-rattling hasn't affected tourism.
"Kahapon, kinausap ko ang ibang contact natin, Filipino manager sa hotel, isang indicator kasi dito kung maraming nagka-cancel. Maganda pong balita, wala pong nagka-cancel, in fact fully booked sila," De Borja said.
"Magandang indicator iyan na mukhang panatag naman ang sitwasyon."
President Donald Trump earlier called Guam Governor Eddie Calvo and pledged to defend the US territory, De Borja said.
He added that the island's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense has been put in place in case of an attack.
"Ito po iyong interceptors kung mayroon mang ballistic missiles papasok sa Western Pacific," he said.
De Borja reiterated that the consulate is prepared for any emergency.
"Kami naman po sa consulate, noong 2013, meron din ho kaming contingency plan. Ngayon in-update ko po iyon dahil ibang sitwasyon na at nilatag na namin iyan. Nasa (Department of Foreign Affairs) na po iyan," he said.
North Korea previously threatened a nuclear attack on Guam in April 2013 as part of the celebrations for the birthday of the North's late founder, Kim Il-Sung.