Indigenous peoples submit complaints, including alleged EJKs, to UN special rapporteur

Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 17 2018 05:52 PM | Updated as of May 17 2018 06:05 PM

Indigenous peoples and advocacy groups filed a complaint to UN Special Rapporteur on Indigenous Peoples Victoria Tauli-Corpuz via a video conference from the Commission on Human Rights on Thursday. Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - Indigenous peoples and advocacy groups on Thursday submitted their complaints, including the alleged extrajudicial slay of 41 people, to United Nations Special Rapporteur on Indigenous Peoples Victoria Tauli-Corpuz via a video conference from the Commission on Human Rights (CHR).

Tauli-Corpuz, who is in New York, said her first step would be to send an official communication to the Duterte administration regarding the complaints.

In their submission, the IPs alleged that they have experienced massacres, extrajudicial killings and school attacks by the military under the Duterte administration.

“Magko-komunikasyon pa rin ako sa kanila (government), gagawa ako ng sulat at i-follow-up kung puwede ako imbitahin,” Tauli-Corpuz said. 

(I will communicate with them, write to them, follow up if I could be invited to investigate.)

But Tauli-Corpuz said there is a high probability that the government would not listen to her as she was recently tagged a terrorist by the Department of Justice.

“Pero alam niyo naman na maski ako nalagay sa listahan ng alleged terrorist,” she said.

(But as you know, even I was on the list of alleged terrorists.)

Pya Malayao, secretary general of the advocacy group Katribu, said that under the Duterte administration, there have been a total of 41 cases of extrajudicial killings against IP’s recorded, 37 of which involved Lumads as victims.

The continuing implementation of martial law in Mindanao, first declared after the siege in Marawi City erupted in May 2017, also exacerbated the situation, according to Katribu.

Save Our School Mindanao Spokesperson Rius Valle also reported that so far, 19 schools have been destroyed, 56 schools forcibly shut down and 30 schools have been “victims of military encampment.”

“Nananawagan kami na sana itigil na ang martial law,” Valle said.

(We would like to appeal for government to lift martial law.)